Using new technologies in poetry publishing: polypoetry
This post is also available in: Spanish, Catalan
Ubicuo Studio: publisher or iOS & Android Apps developer?
Ubicuo Studio is an Apps & books development studio, but our background as culture lovers makes us want to use new technologies to innovate in the culture field. Technology offer us many ways to enjoy culture in a different way: Apps, games, multimedia books… infinite possibilities! And there’s still a lot to be done.[hr_invisible]
Using new technologies in poetry publishing
New technologies open us a new world. We want to research the connection between literature and new technologies. How? Being multimedia poetry books publishers: polypoetic books. Our idea is to use new technologies to improve our way of experiencing poetry. Using new technologies to go beyond the printed book and connect the ‘alive’ poetry, recitals, poetic actions with the book. Keeping on using the metaphor of the book -codex-, knowing that books are no longer ‘books’ in their first meaning – knowing that we must reinvent – define again – the ‘book’ word and its meaning. Our way of defining things is always through actions. That’s the reason we’re really happy to be able to publish the illustrated poetry book Unlimited Sobrassada for iPad.[hr_invisible]
Manifesto della Polipoesia
1. Only the development of the new technologies will mark the progress of sound poetry: the electronic media and the computer are and will be the true protagonists.
2. The object “language” must be increasingly investigated in its smallest and largest parts: the word, basis of sound experimentation, takes the characters of multi-word, broken into its inner body, restitched at its exterior. The word must be able to free its own manifold sonorities.
3. The exploitation of sound has no limits. It must be carried beyond the border of pure noise, a signifying noise: linguistic and oral ambiguity has a sense only if it completely uses the instruments of the mouth.
4. The recovery of the sense of time (the minute, the second), apart from the laws of harmony and disharmony, because only through editing is the right parameter of synthesis and balance found.
5. Language is rhythm. Tone values are real vectors of meaning: first an act of rationality, then an act of emotion.
6. Polypoetry is devised and realized for the live show; it gives to sound poetry the role of prima donna or starting point to link relations with musicality (accompaniment or rhythmic line), mimicry, movement, and dance (acting or extension or integration of the sound text), image (television or slide projection, by association, explanation or alternative and redundancy), light, space, costumes, and objects.
Enzo Minarelli: Tramesa d’Art, Valencia 1987
Some polypoetry examples:
jörg piringer – frikativ [fragments] @ ReVox I (barcelona, may 2009), festival propost
Foit Yet Cleem Triavith, Rose Peter (1988): watch at UbuWeb